Good morning hog traders
THE WEEK AHEAD
- The USDA Interior weight s increased by .4 lbs. mostly because of one less slaughter day due to the Thanksgiving holiday
- We will call the retail cuts loins, Boston butts and ribs steady lower next week as supply backups are rumored.
- The belly price probably bottomed last week but upside is probably limited in the very short term.
- Hams are on the defensive temporarily, but we look for them to bounce back after this correction in price. We think it will take export interest to do it.,
Overall, we believe the entire pork cutout is bottoming but upside is limited this week in our opinion. If history is a guide (which it sometimes isn’t), the index has more downside to go.
- Selling Feb toward the middle of the monthly distribution channel is a good low risk, high reward trade. Sell it around the close on Friday. Tight stops above 82.50 is one way to play it, but whipsaw risk is high. If you want to use a looser stop, or stop on close, go above the high from two weeks ago. We feel it will take something extraordinary to get prices above that level before the Pig Crop report in a few weeks.
- There are two, three-day weekend holidays coming up. Christmas and New Years falling on Saturday this year will, by default back up hogs. Hogs that are already carrying to much weight which is just adding more excess pork for the major packer’s sales desk to try and clear. This will also be more of a challenge than usual because of the short week. Couple that with the fact that several major processors and retailers will be running limited schedules.
- We like using the February leg as the short leg of the LHJ/LHG bear spread. Simply because it is our opinion that the February hogs have to big a premium built in for this time of year.
The StoneX Group Inc. group of companies provides financial services worldwide through its subsidiaries, including physical commodities, securities, exchange-traded and over-the-counter derivatives, risk management, global payments and foreign exchange products in accordance with applicable law in the jurisdictions where services are provided. References to over-the-counter (“OTC”) products or swaps are made on behalf of StoneX Markets LLC (“SXM”), a member of the National Futures Association (“NFA”) and provisionally registered with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) as a swap dealer. SXM’s products are designed only for individuals or firms who qualify under CFTC rules as an ‘Eligible Contract Participant’ (“ECP”) and who have been accepted as customers of SXM. StoneX Financial Inc. (“SFI”) is a member of FINRA/NFA/SIPC and registered with the MSRB. SFI does business as Daniels Trading/Top Third/Futures Online. SFI is registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) as a Broker-Dealer and with the CFTC as a Futures Commission Merchant and Commodity Trading Adviser. References to securities trading are made on behalf of the BD Division of SFI and are intended only for an audience of institutional clients as defined by FINRA Rule 4512(c). References to exchange-traded futures and options are made on behalf of the FCM Division of SFI.
Trading swaps and over-the-counter derivatives, exchange-traded derivatives and options and securities involves substantial risk and is not suitable for all investors. The information herein is not a recommendation to trade nor investment research or an offer to buy or sell any derivative or security. It does not take into account your particular investment objectives, financial situation or needs and does not create a binding obligation on any of the StoneX group of companies to enter into any transaction with you. You are advised to perform an independent investigation of any transaction to determine whether any transaction is suitable for you. No part of this material may be copied, photocopied or duplicated in any form by any means or redistributed without the prior written consent of StoneX Group Inc.
© 2023 StoneX Group Inc. All Rights Reserved