As a follow up to my previous blog article titled, “How Do I Find Futures Spread Margins Listed at the CME Group and ICE Exchange?” I am going to provide a very specific example on how to find the margin requirements for the Dec/July Corn Futures Spread on the CME Group website. Please read through the following steps:
- Go to www.CMEGroup.com.
- Select Clearing at the top of the CME Group homepage.
- Under Performance Bonds Margins, select Intras, since we are looking for the margin requirements for an intra-commodity spread (Dec/July Corn).
- After selecting Intras, we will arrive at the page below where we have the option to filter intra-commodity futures spreads by the following criteria:
- Exchange – Chicago Board of Trade (CBT)
- Asset Class – Agriculture
- Product – Corn
- Once we arrive to the page shown above we must scroll down the page, or move to the next page, until we find the intra-commodity corn spread we are looking for. In this case, it is the Dec 14/July 14 Corn Spread.
- Once we find the corn spread we are looking for, the initial margin will be listed on the left and the maintenance margin will be listed on the right, as shown above.
Try Insider Market Advisory – for 30 Days
Insider Market Advisory – Trial - This premier futures trade advisory service is designed to provide you with the timely information your trading depends on. Each day, you'll get a concise snapshot, from both technical and fundamental perspectives, of all eight futures market sectors.
How to Make Your First Futures Trade
Are you interested in trading futures but unsure of how to start? With the help of this informative guide, you will receive step-by-step instructions to turn your interest into action!
This material is conveyed as a solicitation for entering into a derivatives transaction.
This material has been prepared by a Daniels Trading broker who provides research market commentary and trade recommendations as part of his or her solicitation for accounts and solicitation for trades; however, Daniels Trading does not maintain a research department as defined in CFTC Rule 1.71. Daniels Trading, its principals, brokers and employees may trade in derivatives for their own accounts or for the accounts of others. Due to various factors (such as risk tolerance, margin requirements, trading objectives, short term vs. long term strategies, technical vs. fundamental market analysis, and other factors) such trading may result in the initiation or liquidation of positions that are different from or contrary to the opinions and recommendations contained therein.
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance. The risk of loss in trading futures contracts or commodity options can be substantial, and therefore investors should understand the risks involved in taking leveraged positions and must assume responsibility for the risks associated with such investments and for their results.
Trade recommendations and profit/loss calculations may not include commissions and fees. Please consult your broker for details based on your trading arrangement and commission setup.
You should carefully consider whether such trading is suitable for you in light of your circumstances and financial resources. You should read the "risk disclosure" webpage accessed at www.DanielsTrading.com at the bottom of the homepage. Daniels Trading is not affiliated with nor does it endorse any third-party trading system, newsletter or other similar service. Daniels Trading does not guarantee or verify any performance claims made by such systems or service.