First Notice Day (FND) and Last Trading Day (LTD) are very important dates to know when trading any futures contract.
- First Notice Day is an important date to remember because it is the date in which a trader who is long a futures contract may be required by the exchange to take physical delivery of the commodity.
- Last Trading Day is important because it is the last day one is able to trade a futures contract before either accepting delivery of a commodity or being required to deliver that commodity.
There are several resources you may use to find the dates of FND and LTD. These resources include, but are not limited to, a futures calendar, the exchange website where the futures contract is traded, and the Daniels Trading website.
If a product is traded on the COMEX, CME, NYMEX, or CBOT exchange the specifications of that contract, including the FND and LTD, can be found on the CME Group website at www.CMEGroup.com. You may use this calendar to find relevant product dates and CME Group holiday hours, including FND and LTD. (Source: www.CMEGroup.com).
The expiration calendar for CME Group products can be found in “list view” in the link below:
- List View Expiration Calendar (see image below)
- First, select the commodity sector for which you wish to view the FND or LTD date.
- Second, select the product, month, and year
- Third, click Find.
For instructions on how to use this calendar in “Calendar View”, you can use the following instructions:
- For Calendar View, begin by clicking the “Select Products” button and searching by Clearing Code or Product Name. By default, all products are included. (See image below)
- You can also customize by Trading Events (Last Trade Date, Notice Date, etc.). By default, only Last Trade Date is listed.
- Please visit the Help screen (to the right) for a detailed walkthrough.
If a product is traded on the ICE exchange, the specifications of that contract including the FND and LTD, can be found at the ICE Exchange’s website at www.TheICE.com.
The trading calendar for the ICE Exchange products can be found at the following link: https://www.theice.com/marketdata/Calendar.shtml?calendars=Expiration
You may use this calendar to find relevant product dates and ICE Exchange holiday hours, including FND and LTD. For instructions on how to use this calendar to find FND, LTD and more, please use the following instructions:
- Select “Show Expiration Dates”
- Check FND and LTD
- Check the market(s) for which you would like to see the dates
- Click “Go”
To access the FND and LTD dates on the Daniels Trading website, you can visit the following link to view our Expiration Calendar: https://www.danielstrading.com/trading-resources/futures-and-options-expiration-guide-and-calendar/.
Please note that you must first register for a dt Member Profile to gain access to many of Daniels Trading’s valuable resources and wealth of information.
A third resource that is extremely valuable for looking up FND and LTD dates, in addition to other dates such as important reports or announcements, is our Futures Calendar. To gain access to our futures calendar I encourage you to contact me at 855.758.2743, and I will provide you with one.