dt Commodity News
Follow our breaking news stories and get a unique take on current events that may impact the commodity futures markets. Multiple new articles are posted each weekday. Subscribe to our commodity news updates by email, and receive real-time updates with our RSS feed, follow us on Twitter @DanielsTrading, become a fan on Facebook to stay informed.
SPECIAL OFFER: Insider Market Advisory FREE Trial
Information is power. Gain an edge with daily commodity futures market updates!
With your free trial membership, you’ll receive full access to trade analysis and recommendations for various markets, daily fundamental and technical market overviews, future price outlooks, and more!
Soft Futures - August 2010
- Coffee futures near a 13-year high on tightening supplies: [2010 Aug 30 03:07 PM] Coffee futures climbed on Monday, reflecting traders' nervousness about the supply of high-quality arabica beans, according to the Wall Street Journal. The largest source of these beans is Colombia, and that nation's harvest won't reach the market until November and December. Read more
- Sugar prices fall, but China could cause a rebound: [2010 Aug 30 02:02 PM] The price of sugar fell on Monday, but rising demand and slumping domestic output in China could cause a turnaround in sugar futures later on in the year. A survey compiled by Bloomberg showed that China, the world's third largest producer of the sweetener, could import as much as 1.5 million tons of sugar this year, up from 1.06 million tons last year. Read more
- Sugar surplus in India may lead to freer markets: [2010 Aug 20 03:13 PM] India is the world's largest consumer of sugar - no surprise, in a nation of over 1 billion residents with a notorious sweet tooth. It's alternately been a net exporter and a net importer of sugar over the past few years, as crops - which depend on the monsoon - have good and bad years. Read more
- Coffee futures gain for the first time in three sessions: [2010 Aug 19 09:00 AM] Coffee "C" futures for December delivery gained for the first time in three trading sessions on Thursday, climbing 1 percent to close at 179.6 cents per pound on the IntercontinentalExchange. Read more
- Sugar futures trim gains, then rise: [2010 Aug 18 03:41 PM] The price of sugar fell and then rebounded on Wednesday, reflecting the influence of commodity futures brokers and traders following technical indicators, Bloomberg News reported. Read more
- Sugar futures rise sharply, while coffee, cocoa and cotton slump: [2010 Aug 17 03:43 PM] The price of sugar jumped on Tuesday, while other soft commodities fell in the day's trading. Pakistan may be forced to import raw sugar, the nation's industries ministry said, rather than buying expensive white sugar. Read more
- Sugar futures climb to a two-week high on strong demand: [2010 Aug 16 02:16 PM] Sugar futures rose on Monday, as signs of strong demand and supply concerns in Russia and Pakistan pushed the price upwards. On the IntercontinentalExchange, Number 11 sugar futures rose 0.1 percent to 19.44 cents per pound. Read more
- Orange juice futures fall on weak demand and strong supply: [2010 Aug 11 04:36 PM] Wednesday's trading didn't just start badly for equities traders - orange juice futures also suffered a drop, as a bumper crop from Florida may arrive just as demand for juice falls. Read more
- Cocoa futures drop despite strikes in Ivory Coast: [2010 Aug 10 02:16 PM] Customs workers in the Ivory Coast - the world's top exporter of the beans which are made into chocolate - continued striking today, preventing the export or import of most goods, including cocoa shipments. Despite this supply disruption, cocoa futures dropped sharply today. Read more
- Sugar prices jump as Russian drought continues supply strains: [2010 Aug 10 12:35 PM] The devastating fires and drought currently blighting Russian crops have had the sharpest impact on grain markets, but sugar is feeling the effects too. Bloomberg/BusinessWeek reported that sugar futures climbed on Tuesday in response to a decrease in the forecast for the Russian sugar beet harvest. Read more
- Cocoa and coffee futures slide on prospects for increased production: [2010 Aug 09 01:41 PM] The price of cocoa futures dropped on Monday, as London traders speculated that the Ivory Coast would produce more of the bean than previously thought. Cocoa, from which chocolate is produced, saw prices rise over 25 percent in the last year. Read more
- Russian drought now increasing sugar prices: [2010 Aug 06 01:25 PM] The relentless drought currently scourging central Russia has caused a massive surge in the price of wheat, leading world's third-largest exporter to ban all exports of wheat until the end of the year. Now, raw sugar futures are rising in price, as traders speculate that soaring temperatures and minimal rains will affect the harvest of sugar beets. Read more
- Cocoa and coffee futures seek out gains: [2010 Aug 05 02:41 PM] Coffee and cocoa futures both rose on Thursday, as traders saw inventories shrinking over the summer. On the IntercontinentalExchange in New York, cocoa futures for December delivery rose .12 percent to $3,143 per metric ton after earlier reaching as high as $3,180 per ton. Read more
- Sugar drops as rising production outpaces logistics concerns: [2010 Aug 03 05:05 PM] It's been a nerve-wracking month for those trading in sugar futures, as logistical gridlock at Brazilian sugar ports ran into a surge in demand on the eve of the Ramadan holiday in the Muslim world. Read more
2013 MAY APR MAR FEB JAN
2012 DEC NOV OCT SEP AUG JUL JUN MAY APR MAR FEB JAN
2011 DEC NOV OCT SEP AUG JUL JUN MAY APR MAR FEB JAN
2010 DEC NOV OCT SEP AUG JUL JUN MAY