U.S. Dollar Futures
U.S. Dollar Basics
The U.S. Dollar is the most used currency in international transactions and as other countries’ official currency. Furthermore, the Dollar is also one of the world’s reserve currencies. Today, the Dollar is the standard unit of currency in many commodity markets, such as gold and oil, all over the world.
SPECIAL OFFER: Euro/Dollar in a Time of Crisis
Sign up for our FREE report and gain insight about the current global crisis through our extensive research and analysis!
Download this exclusive report as we examine current global events, the present impacts on market prices and volatility, and potential outcomes of the Eurozone crisis.
U.S. Dollar Index Contract Specifications
|Trading Hours||Electronic Trading Hours (Sun - Fri) *The trading platform is available 30 minutes before the opening for order entry.
Open on Sunday night is 6:00 PM ET; Pre-Open at 5:30 PM ET
|Units of Trading||One contract = $1000 X Index value|
|Quotation||US Dollar Index points, calculated to three decimal places .010 = $10|
|Tick Size||.005 = $5|
|Contract Listings||Four months in the March/June/September/December quarterly expiration cycle|
|Price Limit||The DX contract has no price limits|
|Daily Settlement||The volume-weighted average of all electronic trades transacted in the closing session (14:59 to 15:00 Eastern time).|
|Last Trading Day||Trading ceases at 10:16 Eastern time two days prior to settlement (see next entry).|
|Final Settlement||The US Dollar Index is physically settled on the third Wednesday of the expiration month against six component currencies (euro, Japanese yen, British pound, Canadian dollar, Swedish krona and Swiss franc) in their respective percentage weights in the Index. Settlement rates may be quoted to three decimal places.|
Source: ICE Group
Currency Futures Market News
- Loonie dives after release of weak labor report: [May 10 04:33 AM] The Canadian dollar on Friday dropped to its week-low against the U.S. dollar after the nation released underwhelming job-creation data, Bloomberg reports. Read more
- Aussie's losses increasingly causing concern: [May 10 02:17 AM] Friday saw the Australian dollar dive toward parity with the world's reserve currency for the first time since the beginning of the second half of last year as concerns about Australia's economy were gaining momentum, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Yen slumps against dollar, euro as data notes investors look abroad: [May 10 01:52 AM] The Japanese yen fell to its four-plus year low on Friday against the U.S. dollar after the government of the Pacific Rim nation released data indicating domestic investors further developed holdings of international bonds, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Strong jobs data pushes up greenback against euro, yen: [May 09 06:58 AM] Strong U.S. job market data pushed up the greenback on Thursday against the Japanese yen and the common currency of the European Union, providing a brighter outlook for prospects fo the world's largest economy, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Rand pinched by preference against South Africa, finance minister says: [May 09 02:30 AM] The South African rand has been performing poorly because of strong manifestations of preferences against it and the monetary unit is weaker than it really should be, the nation's finance minister told Bloomberg news on Thursday. Read more
U.S. Dollar Quotes + Charts - Complete market data and enhanced features such as key technical numbers. Create your own Custom Quote Portfolio to enhance your U.S. Dollar trading experience.
U.S. Dollar Market Commentary, Analysis and Trade Recs
Get IMA Daily Currency Futures Market Reports
With your free trial membership to the dt Insider Market Advisory (IMA), you'll receive full access to our exclusive trade recommendation service and all of the timely and accurate trade information you need to feel comfortable participating in the markets.
Follow our breaking news stories and get a unique take on current events that may impact the U.S. Dollar futures markets.
- Subscribe to our commodity news updates by email
- Receive real-time updates with our RSS feed
- Follow us on Twitter @DanielsTrading
- Become a fan on Facebook