Australian Dollar Futures
Australian Dollar Basics
Following the US Dollar, Euro, Yen, and British Pound, the Australian Dollar, or ‘Aussie’, is the fifth-most-traded currency in the foreign exchange markets. Whether you want to trade the Australian Dollar to diversify your portfolio, or to take advantage of the high interest rates in Australia, one thing is certain: the Australian Dollar is a favorite amongst currency traders for its reliability and broad range of benefits.
SPECIAL OFFER: Receive Your FREE Grain Futures eBook
Download “Inside the Grain & Oilseed Markets” today!
Whether you are new to the agricultural commodities industry or a seasoned trader, it is important to have a solid understanding of the markets to assist you and your trading strategies. From its unique specifications to its key fundamentals, learn how this important sector came to be.
Australian Dollar Contract Specifications
|Contract Size||100,000 Australian dollars|
|Contract Month Listings||Six months in the March quarterly cycle (Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec)|
|Settlement Procedure||Physical Delivery
Daily FX Settlement Procedure
Final FX Settlement Procedure
|Position Accountability||6,000 contracts|
|Ticker Symbol||CME Globex Electronic Markets: 6E
Open Outcry: AD
AON Code: LA
|Minimum Price Increment||$.0001 per Australian dollar increments ($10.00/contract). $.00005 per Australian dollar increments ($5.00/contract) for AUD/USD futures intra-currency spreads executed on the trading floor and electronically, and for AON transactions.|
|Trading Hours||Open Outcry (RTH): 7:20 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Globex (ETH): Sundays: 5:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Central Time (CT) next day. Monday – Friday: 5:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. CT the next day, except on Friday - closes at 4:00 p.m. and reopens Sunday at 5:00 p.m. CT.
CME ClearPort: Sunday – Friday 6:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. (5:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. Chicago Time/CT) with a 45–minute break each day beginning at 5:15 p.m. (4:15 p.m. CT)
|Last Trade Date||9:16 a.m. Central Time (CT) on the second business day immediately preceding the third Wednesday of the contract month (usually Monday).|
|Block Trade Eligibility||Yes.|
|Block Minimum||100 Contracts|
|Exchange Rules||These contracts are listed with, and subject to, the rules and regulations of CME.|
Source: CME Group
Currency Futures Market News
- Loonie dives after release of weak labor report: [May 10 04:33 AM] The Canadian dollar on Friday dropped to its week-low against the U.S. dollar after the nation released underwhelming job-creation data, Bloomberg reports. Read more
- Aussie's losses increasingly causing concern: [May 10 02:17 AM] Friday saw the Australian dollar dive toward parity with the world's reserve currency for the first time since the beginning of the second half of last year as concerns about Australia's economy were gaining momentum, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Yen slumps against dollar, euro as data notes investors look abroad: [May 10 01:52 AM] The Japanese yen fell to its four-plus year low on Friday against the U.S. dollar after the government of the Pacific Rim nation released data indicating domestic investors further developed holdings of international bonds, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Strong jobs data pushes up greenback against euro, yen: [May 09 06:58 AM] Strong U.S. job market data pushed up the greenback on Thursday against the Japanese yen and the common currency of the European Union, providing a brighter outlook for prospects fo the world's largest economy, according to Bloomberg. Read more
- Rand pinched by preference against South Africa, finance minister says: [May 09 02:30 AM] The South African rand has been performing poorly because of strong manifestations of preferences against it and the monetary unit is weaker than it really should be, the nation's finance minister told Bloomberg news on Thursday. Read more
Australian Dollar Quotes + Charts - Complete market data and enhanced features such as key technical numbers. Create your own Custom Quote Portfolio to enhance your Australian Dollar trading experience.
Australian Dollar Market Commentary, Analysis and Trade Recs
Get IMA Daily Currency Futures Market Reports
With your free trial membership to the dt Insider Market Advisory (IMA), you'll receive full access to our exclusive trade recommendation service and all of the timely and accurate trade information you need to feel comfortable participating in the markets.
Follow our breaking news stories and get a unique take on current events that may impact the Australian Dollar futures markets.
- Subscribe to our commodity news updates by email
- Receive real-time updates with our RSS feed
- Follow us on Twitter @DanielsTrading
- Become a fan on Facebook