|Local / Int’l Phone:
+1 (312) 706-7620
+1 (866) 825-8561
+1 (312) 706-7520
Author of This Week in Grain
John graduated from the University of Iowa in 2003 with a degree in economics. After graduation John embarked on a 4 year career in the US Navy as a swift boat navigator. It was during 2 tours in Iraq and the Persian Gulf escorting oil tankers through the Straits of Hormuz that he realized how valuable commodities are to the survival of society as we know it. Having spent the majority of his time around oil and grain tankers in hostile territories, his curiosity of the actual product and price movements got the best of him. He spurned a military career and was honorably discharged in 2007. John started in the industry working for a Commodity Trading Advisor and IB as a Series 3 registered broker. It was there he honed his skills in the Grain and Meat markets.
After 3 years he was given the opportunity to join Daniels Trading. Being in the business and seeing how other IB’s operated, it was the integrity and straight forward approach of the Daniels management team and brokers that attracted him to make the move. Since joining Daniels, John has broadened his fundamental and technical analysis of the markets even further.
Working in high pressure industries like the military and capital markets, John has learned the value of preparation in times of stress. He believes in instilling in his clients with the value of a good plan and a cool head for dealing with the day to day swings of commodity markets.
John is a proud supporter of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Illinois Corn Growers Association.
Articles Written by John Payne:
- Charting Soybeans
- Get Ready For the Holidays With a Christmas Tree Spread
- Re-ownership via Call Spreads: Have Your Cake and Eat It Too
- Markets to Watch: July Corn vs. July Wheat
- The Game Plan for Investing in Today’s Corn Market
- When to Hedge? When to Make Cash Sales? Know the Difference!
- Futures Spread Techniques: The Butterfly Spread
- Markets to Watch: July Wheat
- Futures Spread Techniques: The Bear Spread
- What to Keep in Mind Before Starting a Marketing Plan
- Re-Ownership Strategies Explained — Have your Cake and Eat It Too
- Trading Resolutions for 2012
- The Collar: The Bread and Butter Option Strategy for Hedgers
- Know Your Trading Lingo — A List of Terms to Help You Speak Our Language
- Reap the Benefits of Spread Trading
- What’s Your Margin to Equity Ratio?
- Dr. Copper’s Diagnosis is Not Good for Commodity Bulls
- Use the Ratio Spread to Stay in Winning Positions
- Eliminate Report Risk: Use Weekly Options to Hedge Short Term
- How to Catch a Gold Knife
- Using Social Media as a Way to Stay in Tune with the Markets
- Know Your Limits — Daily Trading Limits Explained
- Spread your Wings with a Butterfly Call Spread
- Using Options to Profit from Time Decay
- Credit Spreads: Collect Premium while Keeping Your Clothes On
- Using Market Correlation Data to Diversify Your Portfolio
- Option Spreads Examined Further: Measured Ways to Play Your Market Hunch
- Risk Averse Grain Traders Should Think Small
- Wheat By Any Other Name…
"Why I Chose DT" Responses from John's Clients:
THESE TESTIMONIALS ARE FROM SELECT CUSTOMERS. THEIR EXPERIENCES MAY NOT BE TYPICAL OF WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO ACHIEVE, AS RESULTS MAY VARY. CLAIMS CONTAINED WITHIN TESTIMONIALS HAVE NOT BEEN VERIFIED. CUSTOMERS WERE NOT PAID OR COMPENSATED IN ANY WAY FOR THEIR STATEMENTS.